Thursday, April 23, 2009

Analysis of Descriptors and Similar Terms

I will add some of these descriptors to my search to bring up those articles that are similar in subject matter and content of the articles my Client found the most useful. I chose to try adding Changes and Stress to my searches. I didn't add or exclude Environmental because it occurs in both relevant and irrelevant sources. Stress is an interesting term because in this case it can refer to plant and animal life, or geological events. These searches did not yield me any new results.

I removed Changes and Stress from my search, they narrowed the search too much, I was only recalling one article. I added volcan*, truncated to find all variations because those two articles mention volcanic activities as an alternative to a meteorite. And I added a different spelling of Permo-Trassic that I had seen, Permian Triassic, since I wanted to be sure to pick up those articles as well. This new search went very well, I got a reasonable number of relevant resources to comb through. I read abstract, descriptors, etc. carefully and picked the best five sources I had found to send to my Client.

No comments:

Post a Comment