Thursday, April 23, 2009

Thoughts on my Clients E-mail Response to my Initial Search Results

After reading the e-mail I went back and took a closer look at the articles she said best represented the kind of information she needed. I was happy to know that I was on the right track and was already able to provide her with information she could use. She would like more articles that have to do geologic aspects of the Permo-Triassic boundary. The Knoll, Isozaki and passably the Berner articles were the most interesting to her. Berner less so for this particular assignment, but perhaps something to keep in mind if what she was looking for changed, which is something that could happen.

My next step is to try an include more articles that my Client will be interested in while excluding the ones she says are irrelevant to her information needs. One way to do this is to look at the Descriptors in the two that she said were best for her needs, the Knoll and Isozaki articles. In theory, from these Descriptors I can broaden my search to include more articles about what she wants while excluding those she does not need. However, in an effort not to exclude relevant articles I have opted not to exclude descriptors from the articles she viewed at not useful because the risk of also excluding relevant articles is high. I will have to go through some things manually. I will look for terms they have in common, and search for them occurring anywhere in the articles that also include the Descriptors I search for.

No comments:

Post a Comment